Pazar, Nisan 26, 2015

Poems from Turkey - Rukiye Uçar




"I have to point out that I do literal translation, directly translating the poems from their original versions, rarely with slight changes for the sake of rhyming or unity meaning wise, and I translate for pleasure."

Poems from Turkey


Rukiye Uçar

(I am an English teacher working at a foundation university in Istanbul and a poetry lover. Though I rarely write my own poems, I am so fond of reading poetry. I also translate Turkish poetry into English and publish them on my Wordpress blog, “Forgotten Hopes” (https://rukiaucar.wordpress.com/). With the help of the Tekhne, I had a chance to collect all my poetry translations together and share them with you. I hope you will enjoy them.

I have to point out that I do literal translation, directly translating the poems from their original versions, rarely with slight changes for the sake of rhyming or unity meaning wise, and I translate for pleasure.)



Contents
                The stairs (Merdivenler)
                Serenade (Serenad)
                When I think of you (Seni düşündüğüm zaman)
                Wait (Bekle)
                Wanting everything all at once (Herşeyi birden istemek)
                You are a stranger here (Sen Burda Bir Yabancısın)
                (Ben artık küsüm)
                Dead end in august (Haziran çıkmazı)
                Fugitive of the rain (yağmur kaçağı)
                If only I could cry so much (Öyle bir ağlasam)
                Lonely man (Garip kimse)
                My beautiful brunette darling (Esmer güzel yarim)
                My people (Bizimkiler)
                Postman (Postacı)
                Petition (Dilekçe)
                Dün bir kadın geçti
                Landscape (Peyzaj)
                In Care of 1994 to the Milky Way
                The Museum of the engaged (Nişanlılar müzesi)
                Photograph (Fotoğraf)
                The little girl (Kız çocuğu)
                Can’t explain (Anlatamıyorum)
                All of a sudden (Birdenbire)
                Something isn’t right (Bir iş var)
                That’s life, anyway!..(Hayat böyle zaten)
                Poem with a bell (Zilli şiir)
                The poem of loneliness (Yalnızlık şiiri)
                Sunday evenings (Pazar akşamları)
                To live (Yaşamak)
                Here (Burada)
                Lavinia (Lavinya)
                A lament for the frog
                The violin of the night
                Life
                Prison song (Hapishane şarkısı)
                Like children (Çocuklar gibi)
                Cypress (Servi)
                Mountains (Dağlar)
                Telling about the sea (Denizi anlatmak)
                Istanbul (İstanbul)
                The silent ship (Sessiz gemi)